In your opinion, what are the essential articles of clothing that every guy should have?
A great question to kick off 2013.
As a man, I love lists. Top 10 lists especially. So let’s get into it.
- Black Suit: A man’s closet should have a black suit. Period. Don’t argue, your feeling will get hurt.
- Pinstripe Sports Jacket: Sports jackets are important to have since you shouldn’t wear a suit blazers apart from the suit.
- Wide Collar White Shirt: Can be worn with either the suit or the sports jacket and is especially made for wide tie knots which makes you look like a grown-up (even when it’s loosened).
- Madras Button Down Shirt: For those time when you want to go casual or just dress down.
- Straight Leg Khakis: Again for those business casual and semi-dress down occasions.
- Boot-cut Blue Jeans: Skinny jeans are out (THANK YOU LORD!).
- Loafers: Clearly you need shoes to wear with your suited and business casual looks. Go with Penny or Horsebit.
- Casual Sneakers: Can’t wear loafers everywhere. Sometimes not only is it not appropriate, it can also be pretentious. I’d go with white Adidas Superstar 2.
- Leather Belt: A quality black or brown leather belts can be worn with anything. Leave the gaudy belt buckles alone. Ugh.
- Solid Color Neckwear: With all the polka dots, stripes and various pattern ties and bowties out here, the solid color variation gets overlooked but is a fundamental must have. Silk AND cotton.
There you go!
Go forth and be awesome!